Other Leave Information

The Office of Academic Personnel’s overview web site of faculty Time Off/Leaves is a good place to start as it has good information about Family and Medical Leaves, Faculty Sick Time Off, Disability Leave, Military Leave, etc. Questions about academic personnel leaves can be directed to unit administrators or HR staff, the Dean’s Office Human Resources department, or directly to Academic Human Resources Leaves specialist at

Separation and resignation


Retirement planning resources may be found on the UW HR Nearing Retirement web page. It is highly recommended that you attend a UW Benefits Preparing for Retirement online workshop to learn critical information about planning to retire and the process for applying for retirement.

You must submit an online UW Retirement Application to the UW Benefits Office within 6 months of your UW separation date and no later than 60 days after the separation date.

After confirming your retirement eligibility with the Benefits Office, provide a letter to your Chair or Director including the following information:

  • Intent to retire
  • Effective date of retirement
  • Request to be nominated for emeritus status (optional)

For retirement plan details, visit the UW HR Retirement Plan web page. Select the plan in which you participate (e.g., UWRP, PERS) for relevant information.

Emeritus Status:

Faculty members may be eligible for emeritus status, an honorary designation used to recognize service to the University, upon retirement. This is typically requested in the retirement notification letter but must be requested in writing to the unit Chair or Director. The Office of Academic Personnel Titles and Ranks pages outline emeritus eligibility.

Working After Retirement Policies:

Dean's Office Contact: