So, you’ve prepared, connected and visited — and now you know UW Environment is where you want to be. Now it’s time to apply and declare. The UW application for freshman undergraduate admissions opens on September 1st and applications are due by November 15. Transfer student application deadlines vary and can be found on the UW Admissions website.

Photo: students and marine lifeApply to the University of Washington

Students looking to join the College of the Environment will need to apply to the University of Washington first.

UW Admissions

Declare a Major in the College of the Environment

All majors in the College of the Environment, with the exception of Bioresource Science and Engineering and Atmospheric Sciences, are open majors, which means that if you select one of our majors on your application, you will automatically be declared in the major. This decision is not binding and, if you change your mind, you can switch to another major. If you are already a student at UW and would like to declare a major in the College of the Environment, please contact a departmental adviser to set up an appointment to complete the major declaration paperwork.

Bioresource Science and Engineering (BSE) is a capacity constrained major and requires a separate application process. Contact the BSE advisers at for more information.

Atmospheric Sciences (ATM S) is a minimum requirements major. Contact the ATM S advisers at for more information.

Find your major

Need help deciding on a major? Contact Barbara Owens at to schedule a pre-major advising appointment.


The College of the Environment offers a limited number of need-based merit scholarships. Most of our departments also offer scholarships and funding opportunities for their majors. Be sure to ask your departmental adviser for more information.