Departmental Funding

Many of our graduate programs offer funding through a combination of assistantships, fellowships and scholarships. If you have questions about your current funding or future opportunities, please contact your graduate program adviser.

University & Graduate School Funding


There are three types of assistantships:

  • Teaching Assistant: work with students in a classroom, lab, or quiz section setting
  • Research Assistant: work on research projects; does not involve teaching
  • Staff Assistant: other types of duties such as advising or administration

To learn more about UW assistantships, including how to find a position, please visit the Graduate School.


The Graduate School Office of Fellowships & Awards administers a variety of fellowships and provides a list of UW and outside fellowships and a calendar of fellowship deadlines. UW-administered fellowships you may want to consider include: